Monday, April 11, 2011

Teachers

In my life I have had many teachers. Not all of them are the traditional classroom teachers, but teachers of certain aspects in life. These are the people who have made me into what I am today…whether what I am is good or not remains to be seen. :) I am still a work in progress.

My earliest teachers were, and still are my siblings- particularly the two sisters closest to me in age, Triana and Charissa. We did everything together from playing, fighting, daydreaming, crying and even taking each others' punishments. I always knew that they were (and still are) behind me 100%. We have been through a lot together and that has made us stronger as a family unit. They taught me about unconditional love, loyalty, and trust. My siblings and I strengthen each other in ways of the Lord, life and love. My sister Nadia has taught me about a gentle spirit. She is so compassionate and sensitive.

My husband, Mark is a wonderful teacher. He is a living example of what is good and right. His character teaches and inspires me everyday to be a better person and to live fully for the Lord.

Another teacher was a youth pastor I had many years ago. He taught me to see the human and merciful side of God, something I had never really thought about. I went to him for every question or problem I faced. If he thought I was doing something wrong, or the way I was feeling about something wasn't right, he told me straight out and gave me Scripture to study to try to correct whatever it was.


I have also had the kind of teachers who teach what not to do. They taught me that the world was not a fairytale and not everyone desired my success or good. I have been taught how not to love, trust, cry or even speak at times. I have been taught how to fear and be too cautious. I have been taught how to feel rejection and pain. Fortunately the lessons of my earliest teachers have taught me that God is everlasting. His peace passes all understanding and He will always be there for me.



Children are also my teachers; the special ones in my life who teach me to laugh freely, to be amazed at the simple things of life and the frequent words of wisdom that come from their mouths, their childlike faith in the Lord and their carefree nature. Christian teaches me about appreciating the little things in life; to take nothing for granted, life flies by too quickly.

Everyone I come into contact with I can learn from. They are my teachers, good examples or bad. The knowledge of this makes me wonder what kind of an example, or, in essence, teacher I am and what exactly I am teaching others, whether I am a good example, a good teacher, a good friend or sister…just some reflections.

3 comments:

  1. I love your thoughts on teachers! So true!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful that you've had so many positive influences in your life.

    ReplyDelete
  3. How very true!

    Though she doesn't realize it, I think one of my best teachers right now is a co-worker who dislikes me very much. From her I am learning to be more patient and compassionate, two things that always can use improvement.

    ReplyDelete

My Family

Certain recent events (both personal and in the news) have reinforced in me to be thankful for what I have. I definitely have been, but i...