Wednesday, November 6, 2013

Making the most of life

Today Mark and I saw a movie called 'About Time'...definitely my kind of movie...poor Mark :) But he rather enjoyed it as well. It is not your typical "silver screen" movie, it is more of an art house film. The humor is quick and dry, the cast impeccable, and the location was idyllic (at least to me!) being set in various parts of England. Plus, any movie that begins and ends with Ben Folds' song 'The Luckiest' has to be a winner...for me. :)

But, it wasn't the scenery, the location, or the type of movie that really caught my attention, but rather the message that both Mark and I took away from the movie. Basically, it is about a man who learns through his father that he can travel back in time at will. It will only work with his past, no one else's. The young man quickly finds out that he can correct wrong things or mistakes he has made and even spend extra time with the people he loves. However, in the end he realizes that he doesn't need to time travel anymore to really appreciate the time he has with his family and those he loves. He realizes that all he needs to do is live life like every day was his last. Try not to get so stressed about situations and appreciate all the little things that life brings him.

I realize what a valuable lesson I could learn from this movie. So many days I let little things stress me out, irritate and worry me that I lose out in really living life freely and appreciating the people in my life. For instance, two weeks ago, our SUV was stolen right out of our driveway. Naturally, this has caused us days and night of worry, not just financially, but safety wise as well. I have become paranoid every time I get up to go to work and worried that when I go out our rental car, or the car that I drive will also be missing. I worry about if those who stole the car came back and decided to rob us or do harm to the children...the list goes on and on. One thing I have forgotten is the fact that the only thing that was taken was the vehicle. If I had left the house literally one minute before I did I would have caught them. I was annoyed at myself for putting my keys elsewhere the night before and causing me that one minute delay, but I have been reminded that had I caught them there is no telling what they might have done. They could have run off, but they also could have done a lot worse.

There are also so many days that I am stressed because of work and finances; annoyed and irritated at little things such as bad drivers, traffic and other meaningless day to day things. Up until now, I have not really thought about making the most of every day...in fact many times I thought I was. But I definitely realize how I have been taking life and others lives for granted. There is so much in my life to be thankful for and I am just wasting every day by being stressed, worried and annoyed by little things. Above all, I need to be grateful that there is love and laughter in my life. I have a faith in God that allows me a hope and future. I have an amazing husband and two wonderful little boys that I am blessed to call my family. There should be nothing stopping me from making the most of every day and appreciating every part of every day because I am part of the day and so are the ones that I love.

No comments:

Post a Comment

My Family

Certain recent events (both personal and in the news) have reinforced in me to be thankful for what I have. I definitely have been, but i...