Tuesday, December 3, 2013

Advent-Day 3

I absolutely love this season that we celebrate as Advent. There is something so mysterious and beautiful in counting down the days of Christ's birth. Advent, by religious definition is the expectant waiting and preparation for the coming of Jesus. It is the preparation of the coming of a person of note.

Our church celebrates this event beautifully and solemnly; it gives a real sense of expectant waiting. Even though there are some of us who have grown up in the church, the event is no less exciting. What I envision is a band playing softly and gradually growing louder and louder until the almost deafening and majestic crescendo takes place.

This makes me think about how it must have been some 2,000 odd years ago (and many many years before) when the people of God were waiting for their Messiah to come. They had so much hope. Many of them lived every day in hopeful expectation that this would be the day that He would come. I imagine they felt what many of us feel today about Jesus' second coming and how some of us long for the day when He comes back for us. This thought makes me grateful for everything He has done for me...and not just for me, but for the whole of mankind. As believers in Christ, we tend to personalize everything. I recently came across a quote by an unnamed Catholic monk, when asked if Jesus was his personal Lord and Savior, he responded, "nope, I prefer to share Him." I love this. Jesus came to seek the lost and to save the world, not only certain individuals. Everyone.

Anyway, I will leave with a Scripture associated with this particular day of Advent, and a prayer. Happy day 3!

'Behold, the days are coming, declares the LORD, when I will raise up for David a righteous Branch, and he shall reign as king and deal wisely, and shall execute justice and righteousness in the land. In his days Judah will be saved, and Israel will dwell securely. And this is the name by which he will be called: 'The LORD is our righteousness.'

Jeremiah 23:5-6

'I remember the promises of God
given to Abraham for his willing obedience.
I remember the promises of God
given to David as he sought God with his whole heart.

I remember the promises of God
given to Isaiah as he faithfully spoke God's word.
I remember the promises of God
given to Jeremiah even though his heart was breaking.

Father, You are the Promise-Giver.
Son, You are the Promise-Keeper.
Spirit, You are the Promise-Reminder.
Blessed Trinity, help me understand Your Advent.'


Prayer and Scripture from here.

1 comment:

  1. I love the quote from the Catholic monk. Really puts things into perspective. Our culture really harps on the importance of having God as our personal Lord and Savior. Yes, He needs to be our Savior, but at the same time, we need to share Him. What a great perspective! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete

My Family

Certain recent events (both personal and in the news) have reinforced in me to be thankful for what I have. I definitely have been, but i...