Thursday, December 5, 2013

Day 5 reflections

As I sit here listening to the sleet softly hit the roof and the panes on our house windows, I am reflecting on today's Scripture and prayer on this day 5 of Advent. The subject is Theophilus, who the Gospel of Luke and Acts are addressed. Theophilus by definition means friend of God. Theophilus was also an honorary title given to the educated scholars of that Biblical time period. I owe my knowledge of this to a past youth pastor who educated his youth group on that fact. I had previously thought that Theophilus was a specific person, and while that might have been the case, it also could have been an entire group of people those particular scriptures were written to. All of the prayers are beautiful and meaningful, however, the prayer for today is very personal, as you pray for specific people who you know need specific things.

Scripture:

Inasmuch as many have taken in hand to set in order a narrative of those things which have been fulfilled among us,
just as those who from the beginning were eyewitnesses and ministers of the word delivered them to us,
it seemed good to me also, having had perfect understanding of all things from the very first,
to write to you an orderly account, most excellent Theophilus,
that you may know the certainty of those things in which you were instructed.

Luke 1:1-4

Daily Prayer:

Amazing grace, how sweet the sound
that saved a wretch like me.
How do I share that amazing grace
with those around me who so desperately need it?

I pray for (insert name) who needs Your strength.
I pray for (insert name) who needs Your peace.
I pray for (insert name) who needs Your joy.
I pray for (insert name) who needs Your forgiveness.

It is the Father who hears and answers our prayers.
It is the Son who hears and answers our prayers.
It is the Spirit who hears and answers our prayers.
Blessed Trinity, help me understand Your Advent.

No comments:

Post a Comment

My Family

Certain recent events (both personal and in the news) have reinforced in me to be thankful for what I have. I definitely have been, but i...